Sunday, July 5, 2020

More on korean drama, Inktober 2019, and trailers



Hey there. This post is a continuation of my previous blog post  korean-drama-and-inktober-2019-prep .  If you are interested, you can learn about my motivation and beginnings for doing Inktober,  decision to use my own theme, and choosing Korean drama characters as a theme in that post.

After hesitating for a while on whether to participate on Inktober or not, I  decided to give it a go. Having had not so great experience on following the standard themes for each day of sketching, I decided to draw and ink Korean drama actors this time. And, it paid off. I noticed that I offered less resistance to sketch every day. Even though I would skip a day or two here and there, I would not struggle to get back. On top of that, some of my impromptu sketching/journaling meetups with a few friends living nearby, gave the community-boost to come back to it regularly. It was overall a great experience. Although I had a list of 31 characters to sketch, I did not necessarily follow it and used it only as a fall-back mechanism.

I have displayed below some of the sketches from different series and their trailer as well. I am hoping to expose more people to Korean Drama :D :D They are from different genres and vary in the degree of realism. You can watch them on Netflix and Viki, if you are interested. Let's get started with the tour! We will talk more on the sketches after it :)

Suspicious Partner





 
Back to inktober after a week's gap #inktober2019 #inktober2019day14 #jichangwook #suspiciouspartner #koreandrama


           




Rookie Historian

 

 


           


Strong girl bong-soon

 


             


Legend of the blue sea

#inktober #inktober2019 #inktober2019day6 . #thelegendofthebluesea #kdrama #sehwa #junjihyun #shimcheong

 
              



Something in the rain

 




           



The tale of Nokdu

 
#kimsohyun as #dongdongjoo in #thetaleofnokdu #kdrama #peoplesketching #inktober2019



            


Healer



 

 

 
#healerahjumma #jominja #kimmikyung #healer #kdrama #koreandrama . #inktober2019day13 #inktober2019
        

 

W

#hanyojoo as #ohyeonjoo in #kdrama W #w #peoplesketching #inktober2019


       


While you were sleeping

#baesuzy as #namhongjoo in #kdrama #whileyouweresleeping #peoplesketching #inktober2019
       


Romance is a bonus Book

#leenayoung as #kangdani in #romanceisabonusbook #kdrama #peoplesketching #inktober2019




              

Oh My Venus!



            



So, here we are at the end of the tour! I hope you enjoyed it, and found some series to your liking to binge watch, especially during the pandemic. 

Now that the sketch tour and K-drama advertising is out of the way, let me share some of my experience about the sketches. I found the faces challenging right from the beginning. The Mongoloid facial structure is very different from Caucasian facial structure, thus forcing me to pay attention to different aspects of the face than I usually do. On top of that, I guess the high quality of Korean makeup also made the contours look much softer and smoother. It made it challenging to define the shapes in a face that lacked strong edges. I would constantly hold my pen on the tip, trying to draw a shape oh-so-lightly. I definitely struggled to achieve the accuracy of the faces, and butchered many faces.

Oddly enough, I enjoyed drawing the neck and collar a lot. Every time I would finish drawing the collar, I would feel an odd satisfaction. I enjoyed drawing the conch-shaped eyes also, of course; oh-so-lightly. Drawing the cheek shapes was hard. I had to make confident yet soft and light contours to make it right. Overall, it was a good and interesting challenge, a right mix of things I was comfortable with and things that were new. I enjoyed it. But...

.... towards the end of the series, I paused it suddenly. And did not bother to come back and finish it. Reason. None. Did I feel bad? Not at all. It is weird why I acted that way... why I did not care about finishing it when I was this close and was even enjoying it. I am still searching for an answer to that weirdness of mine.

However, ...

the story does not end here. There is a little more to it... coming up in my next blog post. Take care until then! 

No comments:

Post a Comment