Tuesday, February 6, 2024

Uncle Iroh meets Toph

Avatar: the Last Airbender . Book 2
E8- The Chase. Uncle Iroh meets Toph
15 Sep 2023




I'll admit, this painting was my excuse to capture Uncle Iroh. If you are a fan of Avatar: The Last Airbender, you know you need an Uncle Iroh in your life. I need an Uncle Iroh; you need an Uncle Iroh; everybody needs an Uncle Iroh! Watch the series if you are curious!

In this scene, Uncle Iroh who is separated from the antagonist Zuko, meets Toph, a friend of Aang, the protagonist. They don't know each other yet and have a wholesome conversation with each other. As Toph gets up and says goodbye, Iroh says this famous dialogue.

SHARING TEA WITH A FASCINATING STRANGER

 IS ONE OF LIFE'S TRUE DELIGHTS.


Coming to the technicalities, I chose to use gouache medium to paint this scene. Sketching was easier for me compared to painting it. Having used the medium only a few times, I kept feeling slight discomfort with it. The buttery smooth texture, the opaqueness of the paint felt nice.  But I couldn't do we-on-wet or figure out as I went about painting... something I enjoy with watercolors (the transparent ones). I think I sat with this one for about 4 sessions or 5, and then only last few details were remaining, when I abandoned it. It took me a while to get back to it; but I could do so spontaneously; and was surprised how quickly I could finish it.

Here's to Uncle Iroh!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment