Friday, September 16, 2011

the beauty, the softness and the glory


This was one of the photos that I clicked when I was exploring the campus in the beginning. There are many aspects to the photo that seemed both interesting and challenging to me. The beautiful sky in the background that becomes lighter from right to left, the colour of leaves that were darker in shade and brighter in afternoon sunlight. The petals of the flowers were transparent while the inner portion was dark and opaque.

I tried my best to bring all these into my sketch. I have used pencil colours as medium. For the varying level of transparency, I had to give multiple coatings of different colours on the petals as I moved from outward to inward. I had to give grey, blue, pink, magenta, lavender, purple and finally black in the centre. The leaves, however, were easier. I had to use only 3 tones, light green, leaf green and blue. For the portions exposed to sunlight, I added leaf green to light green. For the shadow areas, I added blue to leaf green to make it look darker. I omitted the building in the background in my sketch partly because I don't like to sketch the straight-lined structures and partly because I was lazy to use so much of scale n all :P

It took me whole 4 hours to complete this...I gained some patience when I did this :P But when I finished it, I was like 'O My God! It's done..huh!'... Anyways, the beautiful colours and the movements of pencils that were sometimes rapid and sometimes slow, lightened up my mood. :)

4 comments:

  1. The painting is very good. But more than the painting I loved your photography. I loved the perspect. I don't think the plant is actually taller than the building behind it. Many htings come to mind on seeing this. Thanks both for the beautiful photo and painting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. he he ... thanks..but the photography just happened, I didn't think much while clicking it. The flowers were at a higher position than me... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. very good indeed. when seeing the photo for the first time it looks as its taller than the building or the building has gone smaller. its the best idea in photography and couloring.
    chandan

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for your appreciation Chandan! :) That is so sweet of you :)

    ReplyDelete