Tuesday, August 29, 2023

Alchemy of Souls part 2, Firefly scene (Episode 4)


10 Aug 2023

 

Alchemy of Souls is a fantasy historical Korean drama. I loved Season 1 and was devastated when it ended in a cliff-hanger. When Season 2 released in December 2022, I obsessively watched each episode as if my life depended on it :-) In this scene, ...

Jin Buyen played by Go Yoon Jung is walking through the woods and it gets dark, and fireflies appear from nowhere and lead her out of the forest ... The scene felt magical... and I wanted to capture it. This beautiful scene had many beautiful frames, but I decided to paint this one...

I sincerely painted the scene for a few sittings... perhaps 3 sittings of about 2 to 3 hours?? and then I didn't want to do it anymore. The dark background of night forest with the fireflies had a lot of contrast and I was feeling annoyed with the amount of layering I kept doing. Today, finally I got back to it in the form of productive procrastination. I enjoyed it in this final session.

Multiple layers of different shades of green; the sharp contrasting values; the halo effect of fireflies were definitely big challenges... Not sure if I could exactly figure out; but had fun trying it out.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment